Sunday, June 14, 2009

Geneva it is!

For the past two weeks, I've been packing for Geneva, where my summer internship is located. And for the past few days, I've been in Geneva - and it's confirmed: it's one of the prettiest cities I've been in. Located by its eponymous lake (at least in English, its French name is Lac Leman), its trademarks include the Jet d'Eau (a water fountain in the lake that shoots up water hundreds of feet in the air) and the Flower Clock (again, self-explanatory: a clock made out of flowers).

Of course, there's great food - and access to it: bakeries on every block, cafes everywhere you turn, and department stores with entire basements devoted to groceries and wine. The first crackle of a baguette in the morning? Amazing. Surprisingly enough, I might even call myself a bread snob: in the three days since my arrival, when my friend Tomo visited and we went out to lunch, he marveled at the bread at the restaurant. "Too soft," I said. "Not enough crustiness."

For the next two months, I'll be documenting my eating interactions here. I've joked that this section of the blog should probably be called "How Will Heidi Manage to Eat Off of Her Stipend," because the shortcoming of the food here is that it's fairly expensive for someone from the U.S., as with everything else. The minimum for good sit-down lunches is around US $17 and for dinners, it's closer to $25. Hopefully, I'll be eating more than paninis on my lunch break, but I'll also be learning how to cook during this time, thanks to my roommates here.

So, welcome aboard!

No comments: